Wednesday 13 March 2013

I Never Wanted This Day to Come

I am writing this post with tears streaming down my face. So I'm not sure that this post will make a lot of sense and it's because my heart is currently breaking. This morning, while waiting in Starbucks for my latte, I got a call from Brandon telling me that his parents were putting down Sasha, their family dog today. Immediately tears started to streamed down my face. They started to flow and I couldn't stop them. My heart stopped beating and I just wanted to throw myself on the floor... I couldn't even comprehend the news.

I should explain that I have known Brandon ever since we were babies. Our mom's used to be good friends and would have craft days, etc together. As well, Brandon and I have gone to school together ever since Kindergarten and I also bowled for a few years at the bowling alley in our town owned by Brandon's parents. I'm pretty sure that I first met Sasha many years ago at the bowling alley and I remember her loving people and attention. This was when I was a child and way before Brandon and I were friends or dating. Also, everyone in our small town knew Sasha as the bowling alley dog with three legs.

See, about 6 years ago when Sasha was 6 years old she was diagnosed with cancer. Cancer is very common for Alaskan Malamutes and it hit their family hard. Sasha had become such a huge part of their family over the years that they decided to get surgery to remove one of her front legs. Thankfully, the surgery went well and Sasha lived the rest of her life cancer free and with 3 legs. I will tell you first hand that Sasha never did suffer much considering she had 3 legs. She was always full of energy and she could still run and play. I truly believe that Sasha was a super dog... she was capable of brightening anyone's day, she loved being affectionate with people, and she truly was very, very special to me and everyone that knew her.

Ever since Brandon and I became best friends and then when we started dating, I felt a special bond with Sasha. In fact, many times I'm sure Brandon was jealous of how much time I spent loving on Sasha. I loved to sit outside with her and brush her, rub her belly, and talk to her about life. In many ways, I could tell that Sasha really understood me and loved me unconditionally. She was such a beautiful, loving, strong dog. We knew that she was nearing the end of her grand life because she was slowing down and she lost her hearing completely over the past year. However, you can never truly be prepared for saying good-bye to your best friend.

Apparently Sasha had a stroke this morning and was unable to move or anything afterwards so Brandon's parents made the decision that it was time for her to be put down. I am so thankful that she is no longer in pain and I am praying that there are lots of carrots and slurpees in doggy heaven because then Sasha will be happy forever. My heart is breaking as well as everyone in Brandon's family but I am so thankful for the time I got to spend with Sasha and her legacy will live on forever. Animals really do end up holding a special place in your heart and it's certainly extremely hard to say goodbye to them. I will truly miss seeing Sasha with her perked up ears and goofy grin every single time I go to Brandon's house.



Sasha and Patches
Sasha in the bowling alley.


I love that her eyes are closed because she usually overheated in the summer.
Brandon and sweet miss Sasha.
Begging for treats?
Brandon's mom Cathy and Sasha.

A bit blurry but that's Sushi and me.


Sasha, carrot & treat (her favourite things)


Her favourite place. She was always hot, so she LOVED snow!
I love you my sweet Sasha girl. I'm sure going to miss our bonding sessions. Rest easy beautiful girl.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kerri! That is extremely heart-breaking. She was an absolutely beautiful dog, and I'm sure her personality matched that.

    ReplyDelete

I really do love hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time to comment! I will respond to each comment as soon as I can :)